SURF is pleased to announce the 2019 shortlist for our prestigious national awards scheme, which showcases success in responding to regeneration challenges in communities across Scotland.
The SURF Awards are delivered each year by SURF – Scotland’s Regeneration Forum, in partnership with the Scottish Government.
Having assessed more than 63 applications across five categories, SURF’s panel of 20 judges, drawn from national bodies and community groups, have agreed upon 15 shortlisted projects for 2019. By category, they are:
Housing and Regeneration:
- Glenurquhart Care Project (Drumnadrochit)
- Fraser Avenue, Inverkeithing (Fife)
- Shawbridge Street, Pollokshaws (Glasgow)
Supporting Youth Employability:
- Community Renewal Trust’s Employment Safety Net (Edinburgh)
- Young Enterprise Scotland: Pathway Programme (Glasgow)
- Achieving the Right Transferable Skills for Todays Job Market! (Dumfries and Galloway)
- Glasgow Barons (Govan)
- WHALE Arts (Wester Hailes)
- Inverness Creative Academy (Inverness)
Community Led Regeneration:
- Barholm Centre (Dumfries and Galloway)
- Ochiltree Community Hub (East Ayrshire)
- Strathard: People at the heart of regeneration (Aberfoyle)
Scotland’s Most Improved Place:
- Calton Barras (Glasgow)
- Blackhill and Provanmill (St Paul’s Youth Forum) (Glasgow)
- New Cumnock (East Ayrshire)
Since 1998, the SURF Awards have identified successful regeneration projects of all sizes from across Scotland. This year‘s shortlisted projects feature major place-making investments, youth employability initiatives, and activities delivered by community groups and arts organisations in both urban and rural contexts.
Over the coming weeks, the judging panel will be visiting all of these diverse projects to develop a better understanding of their impact and the situations they are responding to.
The five category winners will then be announced by Scottish Government Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Local Government, Aileen Campbell MSP, on the evening of Thursday 5 December at the 2019 SURF Awards Presentation Dinner event in Glasgow’s Grand Central Hotel.
The 2019 SURF Awards are delivered by SURF in partnership with the Scottish Government, with additional support from Architecture & Design Scotland, Creative Scotland, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, Scotland’s Towns Partnership, and Skills Development Scotland. (edit)