Collydean Community Centre was repurposed in March 2020 into a community anchor organisation/crisis centre. Staff and volunteers are offering the following with funding support from the Scottish Government, Supporting Communities Fund and the National Lottery.
Activities and services include;
- To connect and coordinate activity in other areas within Glenrothes and Fife;
- Shopping for people impacted economically or through reduced contact with society, including anyone struggling to access food;
- Delivering emergency food parcels and providing, and preparing, emergency food parcels to people coming through Fife Voluntary Action, “helping hand” (distributed by Community Education staff);
- Picking up prescriptions and medical supplies;
- Dispersing funds to specialist agencies or grassroot organisations;
- A telephone befriending /buddy/phone pal and digital connectivity ( we are able to offer free smart phones with unlimited texts & calls for three months and to offer free Wifi, Kindles and Laptops and free phone line for digital support);
- Community fridges and community freezers/referrals to the Glenrothes Food bank and acting as the Distribution Centre for receiving Fairshare/neighbourly food from the food resilience project at Bankhead for Glenrothes High School and Glenwood High School staff to prepare for families;
- A Third Sector Referral Agency for One Parent Families, Coronavirus Emergency Energy Fund;
- Presence in the Centre every Tuesday & Thursday afternoon, from a Youth Justice Officer, Safer Communities and Fife Council;
- Offering a digital youth club each Thursday from 6-7.30pm for Primary school age. For example, quizzes, mindfulness and arts & crafts;
- Offering health & wellbeing projects i.e “Growing Together” (grow houses grow bags, gardening kit, sunflower seeds, tomato plants and potatoes) and “Activity “packs for families; and
- Making up gift baskets and delivering to the elderly & vulnerable residents in the North Glenrothes area, inclusive of Leslie and Cadham. Funding has been donated by a local business man, North Glenrothes Community Council and local company Sandusky’s.
(Update provided by Collydean Community Centre)