As a community anchor organisation at the heart of our community, Barrhead Housing Association (East Renfrewshire) have pro-actively co-ordinated with key partners and local stakeholders to identify the individuals within our communities and neighbourhoods that require support during these difficult times caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
This strategic approach to maintain essential services and identify specific areas of need has been adapted to overcome new challenges, and provide support that responds to the needs of our community, it also ensure that we minimise duplication of services and maximise the financial and volunteering resources available.
Barrhead Housing Association were successful in obtaining funding from the Scottish Governments Supporting Communities Fund. Funding has been distributed to a number of vital partner community support agencies already who are responding to the challenges created by Covid-19 in various ways, namely:
- Alzheimer Scotland are reaching out to people living with dementia in the community, and their family care givers, to provide one to one emotional support via phone calls and video chats using the Alzheimer Scotland Near Me and Attend Anywhere platforms.
- Strathclyde 4×4 response are delivering and collecting prescriptions to those who aren’t able to, they are purchasing Broadnet Transceivers to enhance their communication capabilities. These two-way radios work across all the cellular networks, and provide private talkgroups which ensure that confidential messages can be passed between their controllers and responders.
- Include Me 2 are able to react and support our membership base of children, young people, adults and families who experience learning difficulties, by providing telephone support and the preparation and delivery of meals.
- Totnosh are preparing and delivering meals on a weekly basis to 42 residents of a Sheltered Housing Complex.
- Self-Directed Support Forum East Renfrewshire have purchased IT Equipment that will help provide Information, Support and Advice to individuals who have been assessed and require a care package from the Health and Social Care Partnership.
- Citizen Advice East Renfrewshire are identifying those who are struggling with fuel costs, and administering a fuel grant scheme to support those most in need and provide advice and support.
Barrhead Housing Association are actively looking to distribute further funding to support other local groups and initiatives that are providing vital support to our communities.
(Update provided by Barrhead HA)