About the SURF Awards
SURF’s annual awards process is delivered in partnership with the Scottish Government. It is open to all community regeneration projects in Scotland that are currently in place or that have been completed within two years of the closing date. The purpose of the SURF Awards is:
- To recognise and reward best practice and innovation in community regeneration;
- To promote and disseminate best practice across Scotland as means of sharing knowledge and experience, and thereby enhancing future policy and practice;
- To highlight the role that regeneration projects have in improving the wellbeing of individuals and communities.
The SURF Awards has been running since 1998. It provides an opportunity for regeneration projects of all sizes to demonstrate value to funders and partners, support team-building and develop a national profile. SURF Award winners also receive additional showcase opportunities through SURF activities throughout the following year.
The 2021 SURF Awards
- Creative Regeneration
- Housing and Regeneration
- Community Led Regeneration
- Supporting Youth Employability
- Scotland’s Most Improved Place
At this time SURF plan to run the Awards process as per previous years, sticking to the dates listed below. Should physical visits not be possible SURF have alternative arrangements for this, and the Awards Dinner.
- 3rd June: Awards open for applications
- 6th September: Application period closes at 5pm
- Mid-Sept – Nov: Assessment, shortlisting and site visits by 20 independent judging panel experts. Please note that the judges will specify the day to visit shortlisted projects, which will be between the 27th Sept – 28th Oct.*
- 9th Dec – Results announced at a celebratory Dinner in the Grand Central Hotel, Glasgow*
* At this time we hoped that the process will return to a physical format but should restrictions be in place the project visits and Presentation Dinner would revert to the 2020 virtual format.
2021 SURF Awards Shortlist
Having assessed applications from Lewis to the Scottish Borders, across five categories, SURF’s independent panel of 20 judges, drawn from national bodies and community groups, have agreed upon 15 shortlisted projects for 2021. By category, they are:
Housing and Regeneration:
- The Old Police Station, Langholm (Dumfries and Galloway)
- Affordable housing at former school on Abergeldie Road, Ballater (Aberdeenshire)
- Step Up – Step Down at the Telford Centre (Fort Augustus)
Supporting Youth Employability:
- Eat, Sleep, Ride CIC (Scottish Borders)
- The Larder (West Lothian)
- Move On: Employability Fund (Glasgow)
- Museum of Things (Maryhill)
- Toonspeak Young People’s Theatre – Recovery Programme (Glasgow)
- RIG Arts (Greenock)
Community Led Regeneration:
- The Furniture Project (Stranraer) LTD (Stranraer)
- Greener Kirkcaldy (Fife)
- Bridgend Farmhouse Community Hub (Edinburgh)
Scotland’s Most Improved Place:
- Remaking Saracen (Glasgow)
- Regenerating Fraserburgh (Aberdeenshire)
- Ochiltree (East Ayrshire)
SURF Awards Presentation Dinner
We are pleased to announce that the SURF Awards Presentation Dinner will be returning to the Grand Central Hotel, Glasgow, Ballroom on the evening of Thursday 9th December 2021.
We are delighted to confirm Scottish Government Minister for Public Finance, Planning and Community Wealth, Tom Arthur MSP, will be present to announce the winners and present them with their certificates.
Further details on the Dinner can be downloaded in the programme below. And should you wish to attend a booking form can be found below, this should be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org
Places cost £80 (plus VAT) and include a drinks reception and 3 course meal.
If you have any queries please contact Emma Scott on email@example.com
Previous SURF Awards
A full summary of the 2020 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
A full summary of the 2019 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
A full summary of the 2018 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
A full summary of the 2017 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
A full summary of the 2016 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
A full summary of the 2015 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
A full summary of the 2014 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
Information on all recent annual SURF Awards iterations can be accessed on this webpage.