About the SURF Awards
SURF’s annual awards process is delivered in partnership with the Scottish Government. It is open to all community regeneration projects in Scotland that are currently in place or that have been completed within two years of the closing date. The purpose of the SURF Awards is:
- To recognise and reward best practice and innovation in community regeneration;
- To promote and disseminate best practice across Scotland as means of sharing knowledge and experience, and thereby enhancing future policy and practice;
- To highlight the role that regeneration projects have in improving the wellbeing of individuals and communities.
The SURF Awards has been running since 1998. It provides an opportunity for regeneration projects of all sizes to demonstrate value to funders and partners, support team-building and develop a national profile. SURF Award winners also receive additional showcase opportunities through SURF activities throughout the following year.
The 2020 SURF Awards
The 2020 SURF Awards will have a particular focus, where relevant, on the ability of projects to adapt or deliver new services to support their communities through the Covid-19 crisis. Projects can be judged on up to two years of previous activities, and will not be negatively scored for failing to deliver on outcomes set for 2020 which were impacted by Covid-19.
- Creative Regeneration
- Housing and Regeneration
- Community Led Regeneration
- Supporting Youth Employability
- Scotland’s Most Improved Place
At this time SURF plan to run the Awards process as per previous years, sticking to the dates listed below. Should physical visits not be possible SURF have alternative arrangements for this, and the Awards Dinner.
- 4th June: Awards open for applications
- 7th September: Application period closes at 5pm
- Mid-Sept – Nov: Assessment, shortlisting and site visits by 20 independent judging panel experts. Please note that the judges will specify the day to visit shortlisted projects, which will be between the 28rd Sept – 29th Oct.
- 10th Dec – Results announced at a celebratory Dinner in the Grand Central Hotel, Glasgow
You can download the 2020 SURF Award application materials below. Please read the information paper for guidance before completing your application form.
Application forms are available to download in Word and writable PDF format. Projects can only be entered into one category.
Applications should be submitted via email to Emma Scott, email@example.com by 5pm on Monday 7th September.
For queries or further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Paper (Please read for guidance)
Previous SURF Awards
A full summary of the 2019 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
A full summary of the 2018 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
A full summary of the 2017 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
A full summary of the 2016 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
A full summary of the 2015 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
A full summary of the 2014 SURF Awards outcomes is available here.
Information on all recent annual SURF Awards iterations can be accessed on this webpage.